Thursday, March 20, 2008

A worthwhile endeavor

Tuesday was a wonderful day!
After I was finished at the church, I was able to go to my current house and enjoy life. As a result, I grabbed "Same Kind of Different as Me" (a book that my mom had encouraged me to read).


Back story: For the last few months, well lets say the last semester, I have had this weird burden on me. My college home is not located in the wealthiest or safest part of Dallas, but it is great. Therefore, on numerous occasions I have seen, run into (in person, not in my car), or driven by several homeless people. Every time I do, I feel so burdened. Being a girl, i am constantly told that it is unsafe to go by myself to talk with or pick up anyone sitting/standing on the side of the road. However, I am not one to always care about being safe. That is probably a dumb way to live, but I don't really like being held back from experiences especially when I am drawn to do something.

So I read this book from chapter 1 all the way to the end on Tuesday night. I could not put it down. I think i went through every single emotion during the reading of this book. I cried... a lot (probably not surprising), I laughed, I got upset, and became more burdened for the homeless. I have been carrying around the effects of this book for 2 days now. This fits so closely with my love journey. How can people be affected by someone who loves completely, with real love? The Lord has just been braking my heart for the homeless...and oh how it stirs my passions for the Lord even more.

I don't know what all this means or why I am even writing my thoughts here. I just wanted to share a little of what has been consuming my thoughts.

I encourage everyone to read it.

2 comments:

ChristyDelaine said...

Alyssa, have you read Irresistible Revolution? I started it the night before I left for Europe, but didn't have time to finish it, but I think you might like it.
PS I got a package today, but I haven't gotten to pick it up yet, but here's to hoping its yours! love love! Ill call you later this week!

christina said...

read this book- it is so good!