Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Things I have learned

It is exciting the things that I have learned since being in OK. I have learned these lessons in places that I would never have guessed.

lesson 1: Stop stereotyping

It was my unspoken understanding that people in poorer settings tend to be more democratic. It makes sense because democrats tend to focus more on the individual rather than the large organization. However, in Valley Brook, OK this is not the case. Most of the people that live here are rather anti democratic policy. They tend to prefer watching FOX news and will gladly stand in your face and argue politics if you fall on the more liberal side. It was such an interesting thing for me to see. I guess I need to learn that people really can't be placed in a box.

lesson 2: Insects can teach huge spiritual lessons

I have hated roaches for forever. Mostly because they are just so ugly and nasty and I think the are one of the most demonic creatures. With the house the blessing of a house to live in, came the blessing of thousands of awful demonic creatures. This has been a problem through the course of my stay that is now getting under control. As i was talking with my roommate about how they got as bad as they were, she explained that around 6 months ago, she started to see a few. Before she knew it, she wasn't even able to go in the kitchen anymore there were so many. I started to reflect on the reasons I hate roaches so much and a lesson hit me. Many times in our lives we begin to dabble in sin (whatever that may be). Maybe it is once or twice at first. A lie here, a spiteful word there don't seem like a huge deal. However, one time emerges into a second and a third and before you know it, sin has spread to an uncontrollable level. Like the roaches in the house, you don't realize it until someone comes in and says (me moving into the house) this is out of control. That is when restoration starts. It takes community (jamie and jessi and HGM girls) to help with the problem. However, nothing is going to change unless the root of the problem is addressed. Last night my roommate moved the fridge and stove in order to uncover the colonies living there. After spraying them completely, she will sweep them up and the issue will begin to lessen. Although I hate the problem, the pictures the Lord has allowed us to see in the midst of it is incredible.

These are just the things I have learned in the first week.

No comments: