Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In the Brook...Valley Brook

I have now officially been here for three days. It has been an experience already in many ways.

Some of you may recall a post that I made a few months ago about my disdain for roaches. Well can I just say that has already been a huge test for me here. The little house that I have been blessed to live in has an abundance of...yes, you guessed it, roaches. Let me just explain the extent: It was around 10 pm and my roomie and I were sitting in the living room. We stepped one foot in the kitchen (which is pretty dirty, that might explain things) and every spot on the floor began to scurry, quickly, away. I can say that I don't enjoy any moving spots, but this was way worse knowing what these moving spots are. Needless to say, I haven't felt like eating any of the food that I bought yet. It is just the feeling of it all that stresses me out.

It is more than likely a head game, but even that has been difficult to control. I haven't slept through the night yet. I woke up yesterday morning and I heard this heavy air being circulated. Because it was hot in the room, i went and stood by the floor vent thinking this would cool me down. I was dumbfounded when I walked to the vent and felt nothing. I messed with the lever and nothing helped. Then I stood up and realized it was my unintentional heavy breathing that was making the sound. (this might seem very dumb, but i think the lack of sleep was a huge factor in the inability to realize what was going on).

Aside from the roaches, everything has been awesome. My days have been quite busy. I am having the opportunity to participate with the Heart of God bootcamp students with this weeks class on handling people in poverty.

Monday: Move in and go to class and then go to Josiah's (Jamie's son) first freshman football game.
Tuesday: Spend the morning getting my room set up. Class and then journey to an apt. complex with many refugees.
Wednesday: Opened coffee shop and had down time to get online.

So far my schedule has worked day to day. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it has been good, really good thus far. We are working on the relationships with the clubs. We have had some opportunities to help.

There have been things that are discouraging, but in a completely different way they have encouraged me.

I will try to add pictures soon.

1 comment:

ChristyDelaine said...

alyssa--so glad you are blogging--I can't wait to hear even more!